Your weekly dose of sports betting tips, analytics and humor, every Saturday at 10am Eastern.
Connecticut Huskies – This team was not in the top 25 of the preseason AP poll, a sign they might not have tournament success due to a lack of team strength. Unlike Purdue and Marquette, their roster suggests otherwise.
- Jordan Hawkins is considered a first round NBA pick. If I could bottle his shooting form and display it on my mantle, I would.
- Andre Jackson should also get drafted because of his elite athleticism.
- Adama Sanogo is a man child that no team has had an answer for in this tournament. I’m not sure why he isn’t on NBA mock drafts.
- Freshman Alex Karaban and Donovan Clingan might be two of the best players in the nation next season.
Connecticut’s dominance in the tournament has partially come from hot shooting (44.8% from three). However, they are rightly favored against a very good Gonzaga team.
Miami Marlins win total – Adam Burke of VSIN sees an improving roster under new GM Kim Ng, the first female GM in baseball.
On offense, Miami added Luis Arraez, the reigning AL batting champ. He minimizes strikeouts, which should help the offense in their hitter unfriendly park. However, Miami scored the fewest runs in the majors last season and don’t project as much better this season.
For pitching, Miami has defending NL Cy Young winner Sandy Alcantara, but it gets murky beyond their ace. They will need break out seasons from high upside pitchers like Jesus Luzardo and Trevor Rogers.
Despite the improving roster, Adam likes under 76.5 wins, a number still available at DraftKings. Adam pours his heart and soul into all 30 of his in depth MLB team previews, which I highly recommend.
Florida Atlantic vs Kansas State, Elite Eight – Pro bettor Drew Martin notes how well Conference USA teams are doing this postseason:
- UAB and North Texas made the NIT Final Four.
- Charlotte beat Eastern Kentucky in the CBI championship game.
This insight has been a part of recent his wins on UAB at Vanderbilt and FAU vs Tennessee.
Kansas State has had a fantastic season, but they have given up baskets at an elevated rate the past four games. In addition, their best player Markquis Nowell might not be 100% after rolling an ankle Thursday night against Michigan State.
Drew likes Florida Atlantic +2, available at DraftKings. For all of his college basketball and baseball insights, follow Drew on Twitter.
College basketball predictions – These predictions are available to members of The Power Rank.
- Connecticut will beat Gonzaga by 1.2 points. With the losses to Alabama and Houston, the winner of this game will be favored in all remaining tournament games.
- Kansas State will beat Florida Atlantic by 0.6 points. My numbers agree with Drew Martin (see above).
- Creighton will beat San Diego State by 1.2 points. While Creighton is the favorite, they will face the 8th best defensive team by my adjusted points per possession.
College basketball humor – Last weekend, some betters had Gonzaga -4.5 vs TCU, and this hurt worse than blue balls on a first date as a 16 year old virgin.
Smarter sports betting in less than 5 minutes
These nuggets were sent to The Power Rank’s email newsletter. This is a free service that strives to be:
While NFL and college football are the main focus, 5-Nuggets will continue to curate bets from the sharpest minds in the business all off season.
To get this free service delivered straight into your inbox, enter your best email address and click on “Sign up now!”
Leave a Reply