On this episode of The Football Analytics Show, I’m joined by Dr. Nick Wan, Director of Analytics for the Cincinnati Reds. He got into baseball after earning his Ph.D. in neuroscience from Utah State. Highlights include:
- How an early sports analytics project made the front page of the New York Times (4:52)
- His tasks as Director of Analytics for a MLB team (10:35)
- How baseball as evolved from event to process based metrics (13:21)
- The frontier of player development analytics (16:58)
- The prospects for the Cincinnati Reds (24:55)
- Analytics for KFC, the fast food company (32:17)
- Creativity in sports analytics, and the role of logic (44:11)
I hope you enjoy this conversation as much as I did, and you can find more of Nick on Twitch. Also, check out his music.
To listen to the podcast episode here, click on the right pointing triangle.
This episode of The Football Analytics Show can also be found on: