On this episode of The Football Analytics Show, I’m joined by Dan Szymborski, a baseball analytics expert and writer for FanGraphs. He has developed the ZiPS projection system for baseball players.
Among other topics, we discuss:
- How Dan started with baseball analytics at the age of 10 (6:30)
- How his ZiPS projection system for baseball players works (14:31)
- The surprising statistic that doesn’t matter in predicting pitcher walk rate (19:15)
- How he uses his z statistics to project player statistics (28:04)
- A player prediction based on these z statistics (33:23)
- Using Principal Component Analysis (PCA) in exploratory data analysis (36:01)
- Who will win the 2021 World Series (42:55)
To listen here, click on the right pointing triangle.
To listen on Apple Podcasts, click here.
Leave a Reply