Michael Caley, soccer analytics expert and co-host of the Double Pivot podcast, joins me for a wide ranging discussion. His writing has appeared on FiveThirtyEight, The Athletic, and The Correspondent.
Among other topics, we discuss:
- The surprising Ph.D. that he earned before getting into soccer analytics (2:17)
- Expected goals (xG) and future frontiers in soccer analytics (9:47)
- The excruciating process that goes into calculating expected goals (18:55)
- The Champions League prospects for Bayern Munich (20:20)
- The best goal scorers in the game by xG (22:45)
- How good is Liverpool? (25:39)
- Is there any hope for USMNT? (27:29)
To listen here, click on the right pointing triangle:
To listen on Apple Podcasts, click here.
The Football Analytics Show is also available on Spotify and Google Podcasts.
Leave a Reply