On this episode of The Football Analytics Show, I’m joined by Seth Walder, who writes about football analytics for ESPN. Among other topics, we discuss:
- How the Football Power Index (FPI) works, both for college football and NFL (5:52)
- The surprising player that matters to NFL FPI (12:40)
- The college football team that has vastly outperformed preseason expectations (17:07)
- How ESPN uses NFL Next Gen Stats that tracks the motion of every player (22:42)
- The pass rusher tearing it up for Tampa Bay based on tracking data (29:18)
Seth is the person at ESPN that takes the work on the analytics group and makes it accessible to the public. He offered lots of fascinating insights.
To listen here, click on the right pointing triangle.
To listen on Apple Podcasts, click here.
The Football Analytics Show is also available on Google Podcasts, Stitcher and Spotify.
Thanks for putting the time stamps on the highlights of the podcast.