On this episode of The Football Analytics Show, I’m joined by Preston Johnson, professional sports bettor who uses analytics in his craft. He also appears on ESPN’s Daily Wager and writes for ESPN.com.
Among other topics, we discuss:
- how Preston went from betting to having an edge (3:58)
- the two types of numbers he uses in football handicapping (8:24)
- Michigan at Wisconsin (10:10)
- how to balance preseason priors with data from the current season (13:34)
- basic, data driven advice on NFL teasers (20:54)
In the course of our discussion, we talk about Syracuse, SMU and Maryland for college football and Denver and Green Bay in the NFL.
Preston talked about his strength of schedule adjustments, and how he compares them with my numbers (11:25), which are available to members of The Power Rank. You can learn more about a membership here.
Perhaps most important, Preston educated us on the Francesinha, a Portuguese sandwich.
To listen here, click on the right pointing triangle:
To listen on Apple Podcasts, click here.