On this episode of The Football Analytics Show, I’m joined by Dr. Eric Eager of Pro Football Focus. He has his Ph.D. from the University of Nebraska and worked for years as a math professor at the University of Wisconsin La Crosse.
Among other topics, we discuss:
- whether pass rush or coverage matters more for pass defense (2:19)
- when the defense rushes the passer, whether the offensive line or quarterback has more influence in reducing this pressure (8:43)
- how the best coaches instinctively understand analytics (15:02)
- how Eric’s player based model for predicting the outcome of games works (19:40)
- the intriguing team that could turn into Jacksonville 3.0 (29:26)
Eric does excellent work on the frontier of football analytics, and you’ll enjoy hearing him talk about his results.
To listen here, click on the right pointing triangle:
To listen on Apple Podcasts, click here.
The Football Analytics is also available on Google Podcasts, Spotify and Stitcher.
For Eric’s article on whether offensive line or quarterbacks own pressure, you need a subscription to PFF.