On this episode of The Football Analytics Show, Professor Cade Massey of the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania joins me to talk about the NFL draft.
Cade performs research on judgment under uncertainty, and the NFL draft has provided fascinating real world data.
Among other topics, we discuss:
- The most valuable draft pick per unit cost (the answer might surprise you, 6:02)
- The delicate judgment on teams trading up to draft a QB in light of his research (10:16)
- Whether Arizona should draft Kyler Murray in 2019 (14:21)
- Whether the NFL can catch up with the NBA and MLB (22:37)
- The most important advice for NFL teams to adopt based on his recent Behavior Scientist article (28:38)
- The simple way Wharton has made their MBA admissions better, which NFL teams could learn from (30:23 to 35:14)
Cade is always a great guest, and I hope you enjoy this interview. If you want to check out his paper on the Loser’s Curse, click here.
To listen here, click on the right pointing triangle.
To listen on Apple Podcasts, click here.