On this episode of The Football Analytics Show, Josh Hermsmeyer, data scientist and writer for FiveThirtyEight, joins me to discuss his fascinating work on the NFL.
Among other topics, we discuss:
- How a winemaker got into NFL data
- How to turn the distance the ball travels in the air, or air yards, into predictive numbers
- Why teams continue to run instead of pass on 1st down against a stacked box, the subject of his recent FiveThirtyEight article
- The wide receiver to pick up on your DFS lineup (18:10)
- The NFL team to fade the rest of the season (28:50)
Josh is working on a book devoted to air yards and predictive stats in the NFL, and it’s worth your time. To check it out, click here.
To listen on iTunes, click here.
To listen here, click on the right pointing triangle.
The Football Analytics Show is also on Spotify.